When Valentine’s Day rolls around, you want to do everything you can to let the people in your life know you love them. While people put a lot of focus on picking out the perfect gift, we’d like to argue that picking out a message to go along with that gift is just as important. We believe that perfect valentine’s day messages will make the job easier along with a perfect gift.
If you find yourself staring at a card wondering what to write, you’re certainly not alone. But don’t worry! We’re here to help you find the perfect Valentine’s Day message that fits your feelings and your relationship.
The Outline for Valentine’s Day Messages
Even if you don’t have a way with words, that’s okay. The important thing about a Valentine’s Day message is that it comes straight from your heart.
Sending a sincere message will make your recipient feel loved, but research shows that expressing love can also help reduce your stress levels. So why not open up your heart and lay it all out there?
To get started creating a Valentine’s Day message, take a look at this simple formula. It will help you write a unique and heartfelt message, no matter who you’re writing to.
- Address your recipient.
- Show appreciation.
- Tell them how you feel.
- End on a personal note.
Now that you have the basic structure, we’ll break down each section.
Address Your Recipient
While many people think Valentine’s Day is a day for partners to express their romance, we know it’s a day to show love to everyone in your life. Why put a limit on love?
Of course, the love you feel for your mother is different from that which you feel for your partner or best friend. Let this show in your opening address.
For example, you may want to address your mother as “my dearest mum” or “the woman that I can always count on.”
On the other hand, you can address your partner as “dearest,” “honey,” or any inside pet name you have.
After you’ve started your note off with a personal address, it’s time to continue your unique message. This is where the fun begins!
Take a moment to think about what you love about the person you’re writing to. This is time to get specific! Don’t simply say they’re nice or thoughtful.
Instead, use specific examples that speak to the special bond you two share. Here are some samples that you can use as inspiration.
- I’m always amazed at how you lighten the mood in the office, even during stressful days. You’ve helped me avoid multiple breakdowns this year with your ever-present smile and corny jokes.
- I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you helping around the house and surprising me with dinner more nights than I can count. I’d sure be eating lots more takeout if it weren’t for you!
- No matter what’s going on in your life (and it must be a lot with five kids), I know you’re never too busy to listen to my worries and problems. Even though we’re miles apart, I know I can count on your support and motivational texts.
Tell Them How You Feel
After you’ve buttered them up with compliments, it’s time to get even sweeter and tell them exactly how you feel.
In some cases, a simple “I love you” fits in perfectly after a heartfelt message. Or you might want to get a little more specific with options that we’ll cover later.
End on a Personal Note
Once you’ve explained your feelings, it’s time to sign off in a way that fits your relationship.
Some options include:
- Love always
- To many more years of love
- Sending a hug
After you’ve chosen a closing salutation, it’s time to decide how you will sign off. While you can always use your real name, don’t be afraid to get creative.
Did your recipient give you a nickname or pet name? Now is the time to use it!
A Perfect Message for All Your Valentines
Okay, you’ve got the format down. Now it’s time to dive into the details of how you can customize your message based on your recipient. But first, let’s cover how you choose the type of message you want to send.
Once option is to think of the relationship you share. Are you longtime friends who have seen each other at your best and worst? Or are you new partners just getting to know each other? Use your relationship to inform the tone and words you use.
Another option is to consider the personality of your recipient and your relationship. Is it full of crud jokes and satirical humor? Or is it built on sincere compliments and inspiration quotes? It’s best to let the history of your relationship guide your message.
Now that we’ve explained how to choose the type of message you should send, take a look at these examples.
Whether you’re sending a message to your long time BFF or your new mate, these Valentine’s Day messages will help express just how much you love having your friend in your life.
- Valentines come and go, but I know you’ll always be there for me.
- It’s not every day that you find a person you can laugh, cry, dream, and pout with. I’m glad that person is you.
- You help fill my heart with joy and happiness. Thanks for always being a great friend.
- My candy heart says “you go girl.” It must be talking about you!
Whether your guy hates sappy romance or can’t get enough of it, there are Valentine’s Day messages for him as well. Take a look at the examples below, and pick one you know your guy will love.
- Our love is like a good whiskey — it only gets better with time. I can’t wait to see us together in five years.
- My heart has found its missing piece. Yes, that’s you.
- Even if I don’t tell you this every day, I love you. Thanks for always supporting me in whatever I do.
To the guy that’s strong, smart, sweet, and handsome. I don’t know how you have it all, but I’m sure glad you do. I love you.
Let your special lady know how much you love her and your relationship, but pick a message you’ll know she’ll love. If she’s a sucker for classic romance, don’t be afraid to get sappy. If she prefers a little humor, then make sure to make her laugh. Whatever type of girl she is, the most important thing is to let her know you love her.
- I never thought I would like Valentine’s Day. Thanks for proving me wrong.
- I can’t imagine this life without you. You’re the best other half a guy could ask for.
- I didn’t know the perfect woman existed. Now I do. I love you.
- There aren’t enough hugs and kisses in the world to express how much I love you, but that won’t stop me from trying.
For a cute message to your sibling, mum, or partner, try one of these options.
- They say there are plenty of fish in the sea, but I know you’re the only one for me.
- My tail only wags for you…and cookies.
- Every time I think of you, I do a little happy dance. I’ve been dancing a lot lately.
- You’re sweeter than a box of chocolates.
Scared of being too direct? Trying to make your valentine smile and laugh? Take a look at some of these valentine’s day messages that are guaranteed to garner a chuckle.
- Your farts stink, but I still love you.
- I love you more than pizza. And you know that I really love pizza.
- I’m glad I got rid of my monkey bars. Because now I can hang around with you.
- Thanks for loving me even when I clog the toilet. I know I can be a real stinker.
Will your valentine get a kick out of a sassy message? Then try one of these.
- You’re alright, I guess. JK I love you.
- After nine years, I’m still not sick of you. You should feel special.
- I didn’t think we would last past the first date. Look at us now!
- I like you for more than your butt…but that doesn’t mean I don’t love your butt.
No matter who you’re writing a Valentine’s message for, the most important thing is to make it personal. By putting in just a bit of effort and speaking from your heart, you’ll be able to deliver a message that makes your recipient smile.